|Wednesday, 22 May 2013 06:18|
|The United Nations has proclaimed May 22 The International Day for Biological Diversity (IDB) to increase understanding and awareness of biodiversity issues.
“This year’s theme speaks to the important role of biodiversity and ecosystems in providing for water security, and therefore for sustainable development. Parties, partners and any organizations that wish to put together messages for the day are encouraged to integrate any of the elements from below.
1. Water is life and underpins human well-being, including food security, drinking water and sanitation, and most economic activities, as well underpinning ecosystem health and therefore biodiversity.
2. We live in an increasingly water insecure world where demands for water often outstrip supply, water quality fails to meet minimum requirements and the extremes of drought and flood are increasingly seen.
The theme for World Health Day in 2013 is high blood pressure, also known as raised blood pressure or hypertension. It increases the risk of heart attacks, strokes and kidney failure and if left uncontrolled, high blood pressure can also cause blindness, irregular heartbeat and heart failure.
High blood pressure is preventable, and can be countered by reducing salt intake, eating a balanced diet, avoiding the harmful use of alcohol, taking regular physical activity, maintaining a healthy body weight and avoiding tobacco use.
On 7 April 2013, World Health Day, activities and campaigns throughout the world will focus on the causes and consequences of high blood pressure. (more)
APRIL INTENTION: To pray for and to bring to our awareness the gift of creation.
- For our Church and Governments that they recognize the sacredness of all creation and give leadership for the way to sustainable development and affordable clean water.
- For all God’s people that we become more aware of the sacred in our world so that we respect, restore and renew the gifts of creation.
- For wisdom to protect human health and the quality of life especially the living and working environments of the poor from pollution and environmental degradation.
- For strengthening those values that place the needs of people and the environment above profit making.
- For all of us that we ask for guidance in restoring the face of the earth, show us the way to care for the earth not just for today but also for ages to come.
March Newsletter will be available on line by mid March
Click here for more information FAN